PigMania Shelby / Mansfield KOA Backyard Rib Cook-Off
What is a Backyard BBQ Competition?
A Backyard BBQ Competition is for the guys and gals that know everyone likes their grill skills. Maybe they don’t have the time or money to go pro like the KCBS competitors but would love a chance to be crowned king or queen of the grill for an entire year. So why not try out those skills on some other backyard BBQ warrriors for a chance to win some cash, trophies and more importantly those never ending bragging rights!
Entry Fee: $20.00 (includes 1 rack of Ribs)
1st place – $75 & trophy
2nd place – $50 & trophy
3rd place – $25 & Ribbon
- These rules are based nearly identical to the rules of the Kansas City Barbeque Society.
- The primary difference is we allow any and all kinds of fuels to cook on (gas, pellet, charcoal, crock pot, etc…)
- Garnishments will be allowed but are not mandatory.
- You may cook the ribs in any manner that you feel will deliver a competitive product in the time allowed, provided that safe food handling guidelines are followed
- Each team will consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary.
- Teams must be comprised of amateur BBQ’ers; no Professional or members of a Professional Team allowed (no restaurants).
- Contestants will provide all pits (cooking devices) to be used.
- The use of a single pit (cooking device) by more than one team is permitted. All cooking of product shall be done within the confines of the team’s assigned camping space.
- After cooking, meat must be maintained at a minimum temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Submission Process for Judging:
- Each contestant MUST submit a minimum of six (6) separated and identifiable ribs placed in a single container as provided.
- They may be turned in with double bones, single bones or heavy meat on both sides of a single bone.
- Be sure each portion is cut through so that the Judges do not have to pull portions apart
- ALL CONTAINERS WILL BE PROVIDED. Containers must not be marked or the exterior altered in any way.
- Numbers assigned on the container shall not be altered in any way.
- Aluminum foil, stuffing, toothpicks, skewers and foreign materials are prohibited.
- Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce; curly parsley; flat leaf parsley; kale; or, cilantro.
- Entries will be submitted in an approved numbered container provided by contest organizer then will be randomly selected for judging, without the judges knowing the team’s name or number.
- Entries will be judged by Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) trained and certified judges.
- Marking or sculpting the meat by any means is not allowed.
- This will include but is not limited to painting, sculpting, or decorating.
- Meats may be presented with or without sauce on it as the contestant wishes.
- Sauce may not be pooled or puddle in the container.
Cooks Meeting: Friday 5:00 pm – Turn-in boxes will be handed out
Turn-In time: Saturday 2:25 pm to 2:35 pm
Awards: Saturday 4:15 pm
Kids-Q Contest Application
Sign-up deadline: May 25th